Labels

Pucker Up 3

Swell & Good

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

RC's Birth Story

This is for the Mommy Talk Tuesday over on The Not So Secret Confessions of a Second Time Mom blog.

RC birth was not what I expected. Almost 1 year ago, I was at a non-stress test. I had to have these twice a week due to an ultrasound showing more amniotic fluid than was needed. All had been going great throughout my entire pregnancy. I passed both my glucose tests, my blood pressure was perfect, I wasn't showing any signs of issues....well other than too much amniotic fluid. They weren't really concerned with it though.

At my appointment, RC was not cooperating. He wanted to sleep, while the tech needed him to move. I had been hooked up to the monitor for about an hour already. This was pretty routine for me. It always took at least an hour. The tech felt bad an wanted me to be able to go home. She came over and tried a buzzer on my belly to wake RC...that didn't work. She then started pushing on my belly to 'poke' him awake. Next thing, RC's heart dropped from 160 to 40 and took over 3 minutes for it to fully come back up to 160. The tech went off to get a doctor. The doctor came in, looked at the sheet, said "you're 37 and 2 days correct?" When I said yes she said, "good, call your husband your going to the hospital tonight to have a baby!" On the way out the door she said "hopefully we can have a natural delivery, but we'll see how things go when you get there."

I tried my husband's cell...no answer. I had to stay an additional 30 minutes to continue being monitored just in case. Kept trying...still no answer. My husband just about never answers his phone. Very annoying when he was told by that point in my pregnancy to always have it on him just in case! I was released to drive home, get my things, eat dinner, and report to the hospital.

When I got home, I told my husband, pack your bag we're going to the hospital to have the baby. He looked at me, didn't believe me and went back to what he was doing. I told him, no really we have to leave now. Get moving. Stopped at subway for dinner, then headed across the water hoping we missed all the traffic in the tunnels!

When we got to the hospital we were checked in for extended monitoring to start with even though the doctor had said tonight was the night. We got to our room, they hooked me up and they showed us how to unhook me from the machine if I needed to use the restroom. In the meantime I have texting with my mom and sister informing them what is happening. My sister was ready to hope on a plane to fly out that night. She was finally talked out of it. It would have been super expensive. I finally had decided I needed to use the restroom. Just as my hubby was coming around the foot of the bed I said "wait, I think the heart rate is dropping again." Sure enough 160, 150, 140....70. I pushed for the nurse and said "I'm sure you see this but his heart rate is dropping again." Several nurses came running in, yelling roll to your side." I'm going which one! They pull me over and the heart rate starts to go back up. When the doctor came in, she asked "did you feel that?" "Feel what?" "You had a contraction, only a minor one. Since the heart rate dropped with that minor of a contraction, you now get to have a c-section."

After hearing that I told myself to just stay calm as it wouldn't be good for the baby. I sent more text messages to my family. Did I mention my mom was on a cruise at the time? She was freaking not being on land to get here.

It took about an hour before they got me into the OR and then I was prepped and laid out on the table. The spinal was the weirdest feeling ever having most my body completely numbed. It took affect so fat that I almost could lay myself on the table after they were finished! The procedure seemed to take forever, mostly because I couldn't see, but also because it was a teaching hospital and the doctor was teaching over me.

Finally she pulled RC free, said "I told you, the cords around his foot" and said "Dad, hurry up and take a picture!" RC got to stay in the room while they finished up with me then he was carted off to be cleaned up and checked. It was about 2 hours before I finally got to hold my baby boy.



Sometimes I feel cheated that I didn't get to have the full experience, but then after I hear some labor stories, I rethink that! My baby boy was just in a hurry to see me so he found a way to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment