Labels

Pucker Up 3

Swell & Good

Monday, August 27, 2012

The Journey

The other day I wrote a bit about my recent baptism. Today, I want to share what got me to that decision. My why or how I got to my decision

As I mentioned the other day, I had joined a church about 9 years ago. At the time, it felt right. I felt like when I had prayed about it, I had received my answer. After studying the Bible with my friends and the new friends I've made, I find myself looking back and seeing that I just wasn't ready. While I believe Christ died for all our sins and is our Savior, my heart wasn't fully ready. Without a ready heart, it just means nothing.

I also found I wasn't happy. While it isn't all about the members of the church, you do have to be surrounded by others that will be there for you and you for them. I didn't have that. My job got in the way too. It really became excuse after excuse.

About 6 or so weeks ago, Travis said he wanted to find a church. A friend of mine had kept inviting me to church events and to join them on a Sunday. At first I just thought...oh she's just one of "those" Christians. You know the one, the one that actually shares their faith....over and over again. Yeah crazy thought uh? Anyhow, I texted to find out the details and we showed up.

Our first time at her church I almost told Travis I didn't want to go back. It was outside my comfort zone. You walk in the door (well really you don't even make it in the door) and everyone is grabbing you to hug you. The music was...well, I guess you could say much of it was the stereotypical for an black church. And by that I mean think of a movie that has a predominately black church and the congregation is up dancing, yelling hallelujah, etc. (Sorry I don't have a specific movie in mind and this isn't meant to be hurtful to anyone).

I thought...what have we got ourselves into.

We were then asked if we wanted to come back for Wednesday's service and every other Bible Talk on Fridays. I thought...what we have to come back more than once a week!?!?

Oh how I just didn't know at the time that this is what I would find myself wanting. The fellowship each week is amazing. Without it it's like you can't get through the week. And oh how I can't go without my hug from my brother Bruce! LOL

I went through all the Bible studies with my group. Each week I had 'homework.' One week was watching "The Passion of the Christ." Last Wednesday we started it and Thursday we finished it right before my Bible study. It was of course fresh in my head. On the way over I was listening to come of my favorite Christian songs. One of which is "White Flag" featuring Chris Tomlin.

"The battle rages on
As storms and tempest roar
We cannot win this fight
Inside our rebel hearts

We're laying down our weapons now

(Chorus)
We raise our white flag
We surrender all to You, all for You
We raise our white flag: the war is over
Love has come, Your love has won

Here on this holy ground
You made a way for peace
Laying your body down
You took our rightful place

This freedom song is marching on

(Chorus)
We raise our white flag
We surrender all to You, all for You
We raise our white flag: the war is over
Love has come, Your love has won

We lift the cross, lift it high, lift it high (x4)
We lift the cross, lift it high, lift it high (x4)

Chorus (x2)
We raise our white flag
We surrender all to You, all for You
We raise our white flag: the war is over
Love has come, Your love has won

We life the cross, lift it high, lift it high (x4)"

As I listened to this, I just broke down. I couldn't help myself. I knew right then, I was ready. I was ready to surrender. Ready to make the biggest change in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I found this blog today on the Monday Hop! I congratulate you on your recent baptism! So exciting... I got baptized in 2009 and I love this song. I also love the pic of your kiddo in the "Albert" print diaper. My guy loves that dipe too!

    Jaime from Random Thoughts
    http://randomthoughtswithjaime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete