Labels

Pucker Up 3

Swell & Good

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Hitting, bitting, scratching, pinching....

are just the few things RC keeps doing in the nursery at church. When I got called back today for what I thought was a diaper change was really because he had done something to 3 kids. Church service had only begun 20 minutes or so prior. We had a long time to get through today with it being a bit longer service today.

I was asked if I was hanging around so one of the girls could talk to me today. She wanted to talk about RC and what we do to discipline him, etc. since he keeps hurting other kids.

I just don't know what to do. The advice I have been given so far has been that we need to smack his hands when we to him "no hit." Our thoughts are we are sending mixed signals about no hitting when we are hitting him! 

Another piece of advice was having something designated for only spanking. This reminds me of a cousin that was disciplined with a wooden cooking spoon. I remember a day that my Aunt got out a wooden spoon to cook with and my cousin starting crying because he thought he was in trouble. Needless to say, I don't believe in that either.

RC gets told no, he is starting to get timeouts, but lets be honest in the nursery at church, a timeout is almost impossible right now. There is really no place to set a designated spot. At least not that I can think of and not without removing him from the room which will make him think he gets to leave (which is usually what he wants!).

We really can't figure out why he is acting out. He typically doesn't do this outside church when we are with his other friends. Sure he will hit occasionally when a toy is taken from him. He is learning how to appropriately respond in those situations without hitting. He has hit without a reason outside church, but not consistently and maybe only a couple of times.

At church, he does something at least once EVERY single service...so every Sunday and Wednesday! I just don't know what to do. If we are gotten out of service to discipline him, that really does no good since the whole incident is over and going in almost 5 minutes later is pointless. He has forgotten what he did and wouldn't understand mommy or daddy come in to discipline him. Especially if that disciplining is hitting him on the hands to tell him no hit. He would just think mommy and daddy are coming to hit him!

I feel he may just be too active for the age of the room. The nursery is 6 months - 2 years. At two they move to the 2 - 4 year old room. RC is just go go go, but at the same time, isn't there developmentally to sit still and listen to a short Bible lesson that the 2 - 4 year olds get. Plus he still sticks most things in hist mouth!

What would you do? How do you discipline or did discipline when your child was around 18 months? What would you suggest?

I am about to just keep RC with me during service (which would be a pain since he likes to go go go) but I feel that would be giving into him if he just doesn't want to be in the nursery. I just don't want RC to be that kid parents don't want their kid around. One parent already asked the staff to keep RC away from their kid because RC has pinched and bitten him.

No comments:

Post a Comment